Tuesday, 17 February 2015

better light

What a difference good light can make when photographing embroidery! I think this last picture shows the colours much better:


Monday, 16 February 2015

peacock ready

It took me much longer than I had anticipated. I changed colours a few times along the way. I had more mirrors to attach.



And for some strange reason my stitching just wasn't turning out as neat and even as I would have liked. I was beginning to despair to be honest. Then I remembered the words of a wise friend who lived in India for some years and who would often advise me against being too perfectionist. She told me that Indian craftspeople often leave imperfections in their work - and this quite deliberately - to remind themselves that everything in this life is relative and imperfect, and that only Brahman (or God) is perfect. With those words in mind I resigned myself, accepted my imperfect stitching and decided not to struggle too hard. Hopefully next time my stitching will come out neater. In the meantime here it is, my Kutch inspired peacock.


I took this picture just after sunset so the colours are not quite right. Maybe I'll post another one in the next few days. 

Also, I hope that in a few weeks, when I'm a little less busy, I'll be able to review the wonderful book that inspired this piece.

Sunday, 8 February 2015

my 'Kutch inspired' peacock - getting on...

Although I love to play with colour combinations I don't always  find it easy to decide on the final colours I'll work with. This is what happened with the 'Kutch inspired' peacock I'm working on for the next workshop I'll teach, this time at La laborteca, in Madrid. I wanted it to bright, happy and colourful. But my first attempt wasn't exactly successful:


Doesn't look very serious, does it? The darker shades of orange and blue that I had chosen earlier (see here) turned out a bit brighter than I had wanted, so I decided to go for subtler colours and make the peacock's neck a little more discreet:


But in addition to my problem with colours, when I got to the drop shape at the centre, which represents a cowrie shell, I realized my drawing skills also leave quite a lot to be desired. After I added the outline in open chain, which is quite thick, the neck ended up too thin and the tail too narrow. And to make things worse I drew a cowrie shell that is far too big. Well, my sense of proportions seemed to have left me... What I find really hard is trying to picture in my mind how my drawings will translate into embroidery. On paper things may seem fine, but then, when I put things into fabric and thread, how come things change so much? 


But yes, although the drop shape at the centre is far too big, I think that so far the stitching is coming out all right. And hopefully when the border is done and the highlighting stitches are added one won't notice it's thin neck so much.


I hope it will be finished by the end of the week. I'll try to post a picture of the finished piece as soon as it's done.



Tuesday, 3 February 2015

workshop


Another workshop coming up - this time at the lovely la laborteca, in Madrid, on Saturday, 28 February. We'll only have 4 hours this time - as opposed to the 7 hours I had on my previous workshop in Valladolid - and I've learned from experience that I shouldn't aim so high. Yes, I know a thing or two about Indian embroidery, and yes, I love to share. But there is a limit as to how much students can take in in one day. So our project this time will be a little simpler, and by this I mean fewer stitches involved. 

With less than 4 weeks to go, just recovering from a very bad flu, and with lots of work waiting to be finished off, I have no doubt February will be a very busy month for me.